Today is officially Pancake Day or Shrove Tuesday in the UK. Shrove Tuesday is always the day before the first day of Lent, which is always 40 days before Easter. It usually involves making lots of pancakes to use up everything in the house ready for giving up certain luxuries for a full 40 days. Tonight I will be making these American Style pancakes, recipe taken from Jamie Oliver.
– 3 large free-range eggs
– 115 g plain flour
– 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
– 140 ml milk
– First separate the eggs, putting the whites into one bowl and the yolks into another
– Add the flour, baking powder and milk to the yolks and mix to a smooth thick batter
– Whisk the whites with 1 pinch of sea salt until they form stiff peaks, then fold into the batter – it is now ready to use
– Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat, pour some of the batter into the pan and cook for a couple of minutes, or until it starts to look golden and firm
You can add any flavours you like, I like the traditional lemon or sugar or Nutella and banana!
What pancakes are you having tonight?