I absolutely love Mulled Wine and is my favourite drink to have throughout the festive season. We love making it in our household using this simple recipe …
– 2 clementines
– 1 lemon
– 1 lime
– 200g caster sugar
– 6 whole cloves
– 1 cinnamon stick
– 3 fresh bay leaves
– 1 whole nutmeg for grating
– 1 vanilla pod
– 2 star anise
– 2 bottles of red wine
– Peel large sections of peel from the clementine’s, lemon and lime using a peeler.
– Put the sugar in a large saucepan over low heat and add the pieces of peel and squeeze in the clementine juice.
– Add the cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and about 10 to 12 gratings of nutmeg. Halve the vanilla pod lengthways and add to the pan, then stir in just enough red wine to cover the sugar.
– Let this simmer until the sugar has completely dissolved into the red wine, then bring to the boil. Keep on a rolling boil for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until you’ve got a beautiful thick syrup.
– When your syrup is ready, turn the heat down to low and add your star anise and the rest of the wine. Gently heat the wine and after around 5 minutes, when it’s warm and delicious, ladle it into heatproof glasses and serve. This year we decided to serve these in glass teacups and saucers while at a friend’s festive gathering.
Hope you enjoyed this simple recipe, it is so tasty!